Monday, November 30, 2015

You Guys, Y'all, and Yinz

Learning Outcome Eight: Cultural and Ethical Impacts

Culture has effected my writing in many ways. For example, American culture influenced my fairy- tale. I avoided gore and death, and it had a happy ending. In other cultures, their fairy tales involve gruesome injuries, violent deaths, and they don't always end well. When producing these blog posts, I've written them in English and used phrases specific to American culture. I have also used the term CHAT multiple times without having to explain that it stands for "cultural historical activity theory" because I know that my target audience, because of cultural/environmental situation, already knows that.

My experiences and background have effected my writing as well. For example, I come from a very religious family. Because of this, I abstain from using obscene language in my writing, whereas other students may have no problem with including cuss words.

Through this course I have been able to become more aware of the impacts, both conscious and unconscious, that my culture, ethics, and background have on my writing identity. Becoming aware of these impacts have helped me to better appreciate other people's writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment